History

history-img.jpgIt was in March 1877 when Mr. Robert Graham held a petition for a new school. During that time, facilities for education were already provided by the schools at Mt. Hobson, Tamaki West, Onehunga and Panmure. On May 27 of the same year, the first meeting was held at the Ellerslie Hotel and it was then that the school committee was elected. The construction of the school began sometime in June and we opened our doors to parents and students in November 12, 1877. Mr. Thomas Howells was the first principal of the school in 1878 and in June of 1880, they bought a four-roomed cottage for the staffroom.

After 2 years, the roll had reached around 150 and there was a need to build a new classroom. After a few years, the roll continued to grow that it was difficult to accommodate everyone in the school. Our rooms back then, were uneven in size which leads us to use the largest room for four standard classes. The Board accordingly applied to the government for a new classroom and our plea was approved in 1910. The new classroom was built a year after.

history-img2.jpgBy October of 1913, we only had enough room to accommodate 304 students and we had 395. There was the problem of overcrowding again. The Board came up with the decision that we needed a separate infant department and our request was granted in January 1914. The modern system for drainage was installed in 1926 and in 1930, we already have our own dental clinic. We had the electric lighting installed in 1936 and applications for new classrooms were submitted in 1938 and 1939. We received the grant for these new classrooms in 1940 and we were able to use them on August 4, 1941. Our Assembly Hall was built in 1956.

We had our playground extended in 1955. We had it extended to the area behind the Bowling Club which includes access to the Main Highway. In 1957, we had a swimming pool constructed for the use of staff and students. Our school continued to grow with the construction of new buildings and facilities – caretaking shed, new toilets, furniture storage, side entrance, etc. There was a rapid growth in our roll in 2002 and with this, we had more constructions and improvements.


• Canteen - 1995
• Adventure playground and Fitness trail - 1993
• Rooms 11-15 - 1996
• Rooms 16 & 17 - 1997
• Rooms 18, 19 & an upgrade in the Administration area - 1998

 

 

2005 - 2007


  Roll count is at 500
  22 classrooms
  2 specialist teachers in Music and Technology
  Music specialist teacher for Year 1-6 every week in class
    group
  3 orchestras, 2 choirs, 1 band
  New senior playground build

 

2008 - 2009


  Roll count is at 490 students in 5 teams
  Management team has 7 members
  Server room with air conditioning was build to meet the
    growing I.C.T. demands
  Upgrade of security and fire systems
  Introduction of an 8th curriculum “Languages” – Spanish,
    French and Maori offered at Year 8/7 level
  Environmental science – introduction of Worm Farm,
    composting and ‘Trees for Survival’ planting

 

 

Head Masters of Ellerslie


Thomas Howells

H.R. Hyatt

Robert M.Mitchell

Rev. Geo Brown

James E. Waygood

Evan R. Lillington

Mr Collins

Joseph Wooller

James Vulgar

Joseph G. Gasparich

1879

1879 -

1879 - 1882

1882 - 1886

1887 - 1893

1893 - 1902

1902

1902 - 1920

1920 - 1934

1934 - 1936

John Marsh

W. J. Barham

J. W. Hook

W. R. Hill

R. W. Jessup

W. Beach

John Goddard

Marjorie Butters

Jo Wilson

Christopher Magner

Lisa Harland

1937 - 1950

1951 - 1958

1959 - 1960

1961 - 1963

1964 - 1967

1968 - 1976

1977 - 1979

1979 - 1987

1988 - 2005

2005 - 2016

2016 - now

Historic Photos

Ellerslie School Classes from 1930's. Pictures care of Ena Tegg (nee Mattson)